You want your website to appear first in Google I hear you say? June 7 2016 / Posted By: Melissa Priest
You aren’t alone there.
Google is the most popular search engine in the world, so naturally everyone wants their business to appear first, but not everyone can be on the first page of Google search results can they (well they can if they pay to be in certain areas but that is another topic for another day)?
As a google user, when you type your search words and hit enter, what do you want to see in your results? Any old business that ‘wanted’ to appear first, or the very best websites that match your search?
Google has to sort through billions of webpages (via their very specific and complex ‘algorithm’) to come up with a set of websites that are the best match to your search, and by best match I mean great quality, up-to-date, relevant websites.
So instead of focusing on trying to get to the top of google, businesses instead should focus on creating the best website they can for their visitors.
Here are some things we think you should spend your time and money on to ensure your website is as good as it can be, to potentially be ranked well by google:
- have a well designed and easy to use website
- make sure your website is mobile and tablet friendly, or ‘responsive’ as it’s called (read our post on how to tell if your site is mobile-friendly, and also why your business will be losing business if you don’t have a responsive website)
- add useful, informative (well-written) content to your website about the products and services you provide, about your skills, experience, credentials to demonstrate your credibility and gain trust
- add your contact details (email, phone, address, google map if possible) and try and be as transparent and personal as possible
- and if you are really serious about ranking well – have a blog. A blog offers you an opportunity to add value to your website on an ongoing basis with interesting and relevant content, and allowing you to further demonstrate your products / services / skills / knowledge / expertise in your given area
If you think your website is lacking in any of these areas we can help you, give us a call or send a message via our Contact Us page to discuss how we can help your website be the best it can be.